Amazingly, accidents in the workplace still happen at an alarming rate. According to the Health and Safety Executive, 611,000 work-related injuries were reported last year, and a staggering 1.2 million people suffered from illnesses related to their work or workplace.

And these are only the accidents and cases of work-related illness which were officially reported. Many more minor incidents occur which never make it into the official statistics, for a variety of reasons, and work accident claims for compensation are on the increase.

The most common accident which occurs in the workplace is slipping, tripping or falling. This has been the case for several years now. And while some people might not think that a simple fall is anything to report or make a fuss about, injuries resulting from a fall can be serious, and in some cases lead to permanent disability and consequences which have to be dealt with for the rest of the victim’s life.

What you should do if you suffer an injury at work

The first thing you should do is to make sure you receive the medical attention you require. As soon as practical, report the incident to your immediate supervisor. With the exception of very small businesses, every company is required by law to maintain an ‘accident book’ in which should be recorded any accident which occurs in the workplace, providing full details of what happened, who was involved and any other pertinent details.

This is a legal requirement – so make sure that any accident you suffer is duly recorded in the accident book at your workplace. This can help serve your employer as a means to reduce risks in the workplace and might well help prevent another employee from suffering a similar accident at some point in the future.

Next, you should seek legal advice. Why is this necessary? Because under UK law you have certain rights if you have suffered an accident at work and sustained personal injury as a result of it. Your legal representative will ensure that your rights are not ignored or overlooked by your employer.

If you have suffered injury – you have a right to make an accident at work claim for compensation. A compensation claims specialist will be able to advise you of the exact process and the required documentation you will need to present in order to substantiate your claim, and receive the appropriate compensation payment.

What does compensation cover?

If you have suffered an injury which resulted in time off work (without pay), medical expenses or travelling expenses for treatment or therapy, then any compensation payment should reflect this. Compensation can also provide an amount in respect of any emotional or psychological suffering.

Your employer has a responsibility to protect you at work as far as is reasonably possible, and if they fail to do this and an accident occurs in which you suffer an injury – make sure you claim the compensation you are entitled to.